If you are in the situation where you forgot the local account (Not Microsoft LiveID) password, there are several ways to reset the password. Most use a boot disk using Linux to access the SAM file are blank the password.
This method also uses a boot disk or recovery disk to access the command prompt.
Once at the command prompt, follow these step:
- Find the Windows\System32 folder (It likely won’t be C: in the recovery environment
- Rename UtilMan.exe to UtilMan.Old
- Copy cmd.exe to UtilMan.exe
- Reboot computer back to the normal Windows logon screen.
- Click the analog clock looking icon – you may need to press Ctrl-Alt-Del or click the screen to see the icon.
- At the command prompt that appears, type Net user Name 1234 where Name = the account name to reset the password and 1234 is the password you want.
- You can now log in using the new password.